Engine 494, an American type 4-4-0 locomotive, steamed out of the builder's yard at the Manchester Locomotive Works in Manchester, New Hampshire in July 1892. The 494 was
originally built for the Eastern Railroad but was later acquired by the Boston & Maine Railroad. In 1911 No. 494 was renumbered as the 905. This historic engine had served the Eastern Railroad and
the B&M, hauling passenger cars and light freight. Toward the end, the 494 was used to haul coal from Fabyan Station, at steep grade, to Marshfield Station at the 2700 foot level of Mount
Washington, New Hampshire. This coal was used by the Mount Washington Cog Railway for its climb to the 6,288 foot summit. Engine No. 494 was finally retired in 1938.
Through the years, this locomotive was modernized. The wooden cab was replaced by one made of steel. The oil headlamp was replaced with an electric headlight, along with other
improvements. All of this modernization, however, was reversed when the 494 was cosmetically restored for the 1939 New York World's Fair. Each part of the train that had been modernized was back-dated
with original type equipment. The steam-powered electric generator was removed. The electric headlight was replaced with an original design oil light and the cab was rebuilt with wood. The 1939
restoration was done at the Boston & Main shops in Billerica, Massachusetts. No attempt was made at that time to restore the engine to full steam.
Following the '39 World's Fair. No. 494 was stored at the Fitchburg and Lowell yards for several years. There was talk of scrapping this engine. Finally, a Boston-based group, later
incorporated as "The Railroad Enthusiasts, Inc.", acquired No. 494 from the Boston & Maine Railroad, saving the engine from the scrap yard. The RRE sought a permanent home for this
historic steam locomotive. Finding interest in the North, ownership of the locomotive was transferred to the Town of Hartford, Vermont in 1957. The engine remains on display today at this historic hub
of railroad activity. During its heyday, as many as 50 trains a day arrived and disembarked from White River Junction, in Hartford, Vermont.
again, the B&M 494 has been brought to the center of attention by a group of railroad buffs. A restoration group has been formed under the direction of The Town of Hartford, Vermont, Hartford Parks
& Recreation Department. The goal of the 494 Restoration Committee in White River Junction is to document the history of the B&M 494 and restore the engine as closely as possible to its original
We are gratefully accepting contributions of funds and historical materials (railroad
photographs, artifacts, etc.).
For more information, please visit our contributions page.